How do I order a reproduction of a record?
If you want to order a reproduction of a record from home, you can do so via our web shop. A distinction is made between inventory numbers that are already available in digital form and inventory numbers that will need to be scanned. See below for instructions on how to order a reproduction. You can of course also order reproductions in the reading room.
How do I proceed?
- Create a profile. You will need to enter your full address, including town and country.
- Search for the record you want to order. You can do this via the archive inventories, the indexes or, if you want to order a map or a photograph, via the photograph collection or map collection.
- Place the inventory number in the shopping cart by clicking on ‘Add to shopping cart’. You will see a figure 1 appear next to the shopping cart in the top right-hand corner of the page. You can then continue to search for other inventory numbers of records for which you want to order a scan.
- When you have finished ordering, click on the shopping cart in the top right-hand corner of the page. This will take you to the web shop where you can complete your order.
- You will be asked what type of reproduction you want and how many scans you would like to order.
- Place your order by clicking on ‘Place your order’. Then you can check your address details and the order and you will be taken to the payment page. We will send you an e-mail to confirm your order.
To complete your order, you will need to be logged in with your personal profile. If you are not logged in, you will be asked to do so. If you have not yet created a profile, click here for information on creating a profile. When your order is ready, the scans will be posted on your profile and you will receive an e-mail to let you know.
Already available digitally
If you would like to receive a scan of a photograph, a map or a record that is already available digitally, you can download it directly in JPEG format. This costs €5 for a photograph or map and €1 for a document. The scan will be delivered straight away. You can also opt for either an A4 or A3 size print, or a print on thick, luxury paper. These will be sent to your home address. The prices appear automatically. You can also check the price list before placing your order.
Not yet available digitally - Custom order
Are you unsure how many pages the inventory number contains or exactly where the record you are searching for is? Or do you want to order a map that is not yet available digitally? Then you can place a custom order. A handling fee of €16.75 is charged for this service, payable in advance. You can enter the specifications of the record you require in the text box. The more precisely you specify what you want, the quicker we will be able to process your order.
Nationaal Archief staff will fetch the inventory number out of the repository, search for the record you want and count the pages. The price for reproducing a map depends on the size of the map. The staff member will then let you know how much the reproduction will cost. If you agree, the order will be set in motion and you will be billed. Once your payment has been received, the scans will be posted on your profile.
Why do I need to pay €16.75 in advance for a custom order?
Reproduction orders involve a lot of preparation work. Finding the right item and counting the pages is time-consuming. The fee covers the research the Nationaal Archief employee does for you. If you ultimately decide not to go ahead with the order, the fee is non-refundable. You can of course also come into the Nationaal Archief reading room and do the preliminary research yourself. In that case, you can place your order at the counter and you will only pay for the scans that are made for you. You are also permitted to take photographs of public archive material.
When your order is ready, we will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address in your profile. If you have requested a print, this will be posted to you.
The Nationaal Archief offers various types of reproductions and other products and services. A list of these products and services and details of what they cost can be found in the price list.
Download ordered scans
- We will send you an e-mail when your scans are ready.
- Log in with your profile.
- Download the scans in ‘My profile’ - ‘My downloads’.
NB: the scans will only remain on your profile temporarily. Please download them onto your computer as soon as possible.
What should I do if I have a problem?
If you have a problem with your order, please contact us. You will find a ‘Contact form’ button at the bottom of every page. This will take you to an e-mail form. In this form, describe clearly what you want to order and why you have been unable to order it via the website. A Nationaal Archief employee will contact you to resolve the problem.