How do I order a reproduction of a record?
If you want to order a reproduction of a record from home, you can do so via our webshop. A distinction is made between inventory numbers that are already available online and inventory numbers that will need to be scanned. If you want to order a reproduction online just follow the six steps below. It is also possible to order reproductions when your are visiting the reading room.
How do I proceed?
- Create a profile. You will need to enter your full address, including town and country.
- Search for the record you want to order. You can do this via the archive inventories, the indexes.
- Place the inventory number in the shopping cart by clicking on ‘Add to shopping cart’. A number will be shown next to the shopping cart in the top right-hand corner of the page. This number will relate to the amount of items that you have added to your shopping cart. You can then continue to search for other inventory numbers of records for which you want to order a scan.
- When you have finished ordering, click on the shopping cart in the top right-hand corner of the page. This will take you to the webshop where you can complete your order.
- You will be asked what type of reproduction and how many scans you would like to order.
- Place your order by clicking on ‘Place your order’. Please check your address details and the order. You will be taken to the payment page. We will send you an e-mail to confirm your order.
To complete your order, you will need to be logged in with your personal profile. If you are not logged in, you will be asked to do so. If you have not yet created a profile, click here for information on creating a profile. When your order is ready, the scans will be posted on your profile and you will receive an e-mail to let you know.
Not yet available online - Custom order
Are you unsure how many pages the inventory number contains or exactly where to find the record you are searching for? Or do you want to order a map that is not yet available online? Then you can place a custom order. A handling fee of €16.75 is charged for this service, payable in advance. You can enter the specifications of the record you require in the textbox. The more precise you specify your wishes, the quicker we will be able to process your order.
Nationaal Archief staff will fetch the inventory number out of the repository, search for the record and count the pages. The price for reproducing a map depends on the size of the map. The staff member will let you know how much the reproduction will cost. If you agree, the order will be set in motion and you will be billed. Once your payment has been received, the scans will be posted on your profile.
Why do I need to pay €16.75 in advance for a custom order?
Reproduction orders involve a lot of preparation. Finding the right item and counting the pages is time-consuming. The fee covers the research done by the Nationaal Archief employee. If you ultimately decide not to go ahead with the order, the fee is non-refundable. You can also decide to visit our reading room and conduct your own preliminary research. In that case, you can place your order at the counter and you will only be charged for the scans that are made for you. You are also permitted to take photographs of public archive material.
When your order is ready, we will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address in your profile. If you have requested a print, this will be sent to your adress.
The Nationaal Archief offers various types of reproductions, products and services. A detailed list and their costs can be found in the price list.
Download ordered scans
- We will send you an e-mail when your scans are ready.
- Log in with your profile.
- Download the scans in ‘My profile’ - ‘My downloads’.
NB: the scans will only remain on your profile temporarily. Please download them onto your computer as soon as possible.
What should I do if I have a problem?
If you have a problem placing, paying or downloading your order, please contact us. You will find a ‘Contact form’ button at the bottom of every page. This will take you to an e-mail form. In this form, describe clearly what you want to order and why you have been unable to order or download it via the website. A Nationaal Archief employee will contact you to resolve the problem.