How this website works
Looking for something particular?
- You can search the whole site using the search function in the top right-hand corner of the page. See also the advanced search options.
- Under ‘Doing research’ you will find step-by-step instructions for many common search queries.
Planning your visit?
There are descriptions of all our archives online, although most of the documents are not available in digital form. You can view these free of charge in the Nationaal Archief reading room. You can plan your visit to the reading room on this website.
- In the catalogue you can see what records we have in the archive. If you are logged in, you can reserve them for your visit there and then.
- In the indexes you can find references to records on a particular place or person, for example.
- Tip: check the current opening hours to avoid disappointment.
Can you help?
At various places in the website we would welcome your help.
- Do you have any additional information about records in the collection, such as the pictures in the photograph collection or a person in the index? If so, please leave a comment.
- Are you good at reading old handwriting? If so, you could help us make transcriptions of scanned documents; or first read more about how to make and edit transcriptions (in Dutch).