Usage of the website
Looking for something particular?
- You can search the whole site using the search function in the top right-hand corner of the page. You can also use the advanced search options to explore our archives.
- Under ‘Doing research’ you will find step-by-step instructions for many common search queries.
Planning your visit?
There are descriptions of all our archives online. You can view the original documents free of charge in the Nationaal Archief reading room. You can plan your visit to the reading room on this website. Digitised documents can be viewed on our website.
- In the catalogue you can see which records are available in our archive. If you are logged in, you can reserve them for your visit.
- In the indexes you can find references to records on a particular person, place or subject.
- Tip: check the current opening hours to avoid disappointment.
We can use your help
At various places in the website we would welcome your help.
- Do you have any additional information on records in the collection, such as the pictures in the photograph collection or a person in the index? If so, please leave a comment.
- Are you trained in the art of reading old handwritings? If so, you could help us make transcriptions of digitised documents; or first read more about how to make and edit transcriptions (in Dutch).