I'm looking for a serviceman
Are you looking for someone who served in the Dutch army? The research guides below are arranged by period. We have provided some special research guides to help you search for servicemen who served in the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL) or in the West Indies. These guides will help you get your search off to a good start.
This page also provides an overview of the service books and other military sources housed at the Nationaal Archief. Service books are the books which were used to keep a record of servicemen. There is also a short list of publications about military history which you can find at the Nationaal Archief.
- Servicemen before 1795
- Officers of the Generality Lands before 1795
- Subaltern officers of the region of Holland 1625-1725
- Servicemen during the time of the French Empire 1795-1813
- Servicemen from after 1813
- Non-commissioned officers and soldiers of the KNIL
- Non-commissioned officers and soldiers in the West Indies
- Reference list on military history
- Overview of service books and other sources relating to servicemen