RGD / Tekening Rijksgebouwen
Nationaal Archief, Den Haag
Beschrijving van het archief
merendeel (1824) 1763-1950(1957)
Taal van het archiefmateriaal:
Het merendeel der stukken is in het Nederlands. Er is een korte samenvatting in het Engels.
Nationaal Archief, Den Haag
Samenvatting van de inhoud van het archief:
Dit archief bevat plattegronden, bestekken, tekeningen en foto’s van gebouwen beheerd door de Rijksgebouwendienst in Nederland. Alle tekeningen uit de inventaris van koninklijke paleizen, landsgebouwen (ook in Brussel), scholen, kazernes, ziekenhuizen, post- en telegraafkantoren, gevangenissen en gerechtshoven zijn op microfiche gezet. Een beperkt aantal tekeningen zoals aanzichten en revisietekeningen zijn bewaard gebleven en in een aparte lijst opgenomen. Het archief is verdeeld in dat van de architect en de bouwkundig ambtenaar – met het uitgebreide objectenarchief (gerangschikt per gemeente), een rubriek met een foto- en bestekkenverzameling en stukken die geen betrekking hebben op in beheer zijnde objecten. Daarnaast is er het archief van de constructeur – ook met objecten gerangschikt op gemeente, ook een enkele Franse. Dan volgt het persoonlijk archief van H. de Lussanet de la Sablonière. Er zijn indices op persoonsnaam en op zaak en gebouw.
- Ministerie Volkshuisvesting, Ruimtelijke Ordening en Milieu (VROM) / Rijksgebouwendienst 1763-1940
- Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken, Onderwijs en Waterstaat / Afdeling C / Administratie van Waterstaat, Wegen en Publieke Werken 1823-1829
- Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken, Waterstaat en Publieke Werken / Afdeling C / Administratie van Waterstaat, Wegen en Publieke Werken 1820-1823
- Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken / 3e Afdeling Waterstaat 1831-1877
- Ministerie van Financiën / Afdeling Rijksgebouwen 1922-1935
- Rijksbouwmeester voor de Landsgebouwen in het Tweede District 1919-1923
The Rijksgebouwendienst (RGD) (Government Buildings Agency) was set up in 1922 by Royal decree with the task of administering government buildings in the Netherlands. The service attends to all matters relating to the buildings owned or rented by the state, including their purchase or renting, construction, renovation, maintenance and initial layout and design.
Excluded are all buildings concerned with national defense, buildings in the (former) colonies or in foreign countries belonging to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, those belonging to the railroads, the state mines and water management authorities. Before that date most ministries had their own building service and formed their own archives which were partially transferred to the RGD in 1924. Appendix IV (Bijlage IV) gives an overview of the situation.
We can trace the first Dutch public buildings back to the counts of Holland in the Middle Ages. As early as the thirteenth century there was a residence on the site where Parliament stands at present in The Hague. Later in the century a large hall, the Ridderzaal, was added and a chapel and various other buildings were erected. Further expansion to the west followed in the fifteenth century. The Hague more and more became the administrative centre of Holland and Zeeland because of its favourable geographical location and the presence of the counts chancellery and council. It later remained the government centre under the Stadholders, governors appointed by the Habsburgs after they acquired the title of count, and the States of Holland, the body representing the major towns and nobility of the province.
In the revolt against the Spanish Habsburgs in the late sixteenth century, the States assumed the powers of the sovereign and also the responsibility for the government buildings in The Hague. Administration of the properties was in the hands of an official called the controller or "court carpenter".
In the eighteenth century extensive building plans were made for the Stadholders quarter in The Hague and well-known architects were asked to submit proposals. There was no strict division between building done for the House of Orange (the Stadholders) and for the province. Many of the projects involved work on property of the Oranges such as the palaces Huis ten Bosch and Noordeinde.
In the rest of the country the public buildings were administered by the provincial authorities. Frequently the maintenance of many buildings was delegated to local authorities or was traditionally already in their hands, for example, that of schools and courthouses.
The demise of the Republic and advent of the unitary state in 1795 did not have any immediate consequences for public buildings. Local authorities maintained buildings in which civil servants of the central government now worked. In The Hague the
Controller or Royal Architect (after the country became a monarchy in 1806) ran the office that looked after the palaces and government buildings. In the course of the nineteenth century the ministries also appointed architects to design and maintain their buildings. Appendix II (Bijlage II) gives a list of these officials, their various titles and the ministries they reported to. Among the best known were the Metzelaar family, who worked for the Ministry of Justice, C.H. Peters for the Ministry of Finance, J. van Lokhorst and of course P.J.H. Cuypers, the architect of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, who reported to the Ministry of Education.
With the founding of the RGD in the 1920s the care for all government buildings, with the exceptions cited above, has been centralized in the hands of one service under the direction of the Rijksbouwmeester (Chief Government Architect), who reports to the Ministry of Public Housing, Spatial Planning and Environment.
The archive of plans and drawings (tekeningenarchief) of the RGD contains some 36,000 items and covers the period  1824-1945 . As mentioned above the archive originated in 1924 when the various building services of the ministries were concentrated in the RGD, but since there was no systematic transfer of archival material from the ministries to the new department, some material was unfortunately lost or scattered. Other material relating to public buildings has remained in private hands, for example, in the archives of architects commissioned by the government.
Between 1986 and 1990 the archive of plans and drawings of the RGD was transferred to the General State Archives (Nationaal Archief) in The Hague, where work was begun on ordering and inventorying the material. The present inventory is the result of this process.
For the inventory it was decided to reconstruct the situation prevailing in 1957 before the RGD was decentralized. The inventory has been organized alphabetically by place or municipality and within each municipality by address. The archive consists of two large groups: the archive of the architect and that of the builder (constructeur). Also included when available were the specifications (bestekkenverzameling) and relevant photo collections (fotoverzameling). The entries include the following information:
- the name and address of the building(s) (objecten)
- the architect (when known) and the nature of the document(s) (for example, ontwerptekening = draft, sketch)
- the scale and date
- the number of items included (e.g., 2 bladen = 2 sheets)
The terminological usage follows that recommended in Nederlands Archievenblad 93 (1989).
Non-Dutch readers may consult the multilingual terminology lists in:
E.J. Haslinghuis, Bouwkundige termen (Utrecht/Antwerp: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1986).
for the architectural terms and any Dutch-English dictionary for the remaining vocabulary, in particular for the names and functions of the buildings described, for example, "school", "gevangenis", "postkantoor", "rechtbank", etc. school, prison, post office, courthouse, etc.
In 1992 the entire collection of plans and drawings of the RGD was microfilmed. The collection can be consulted in microform and partially in original form at the General State Archives in The Hague. A commercial edition of the microfiches is also available for purchase in whole or in part under the title "Public Architecture in the Netherlands" from MMF Publications. Please address inquires about the microfiches to:
P.O. Box 287
2160 AG Lisse
Tel + 31 252 432100
Fax + 31 252 432101